In life, you have to learn how to be powerless if you want to be happy. You have to learn to accept the things you can’t change and all the things you can’t control. It’s not an easy job, but mandatory for a high quality of life. For a good life. “The glass is already broken” mindset may help you with that.
The other side of the same coin is that you need to gain as much power in life as possible. The more power you have, the better position you’re in to bend your own destiny and the destiny of humankind (to the positive, I hope). You need power if you want to introduce any kind of change into the system (government, community, your life…).
There are many reasons why power is good. Here are a few of them:
- Only by possessing enough power can you grow and change yourself and your destiny
- Power means that you can influence how other people behave and which goals they follow
- With assets and other people’s resources (time, money), you can achieve your goals faster and you can go after even bigger goals
- With power, your sexual market value is much higher and thus you have more options to connect with someone who is really your fit
Power can, of course, be either used for good or misused. If you’re a good person (and plan to stay that way, no matter how much power you gain), your duty is to become as powerful as possible. We all want to have good people in the position of power, not corrupt, shady and evil ones.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Well, this blog post is actually not even about why power is important. We’ll talk about that in one of the following blog posts. This one is about the signs of power. It’s about how we humans express our position of power and how we show it to other people. It’s also about the signs of how we recognize powerful people.
Most signs of power are always signs of power, no matter the situation. But some of them are only signs of power in specific situations and the right context. For example, in some situations egoism is a sign of power, in others altruism shows real power. Both can be good in the right context, and both can be misused and cause harm.
With altruism, you can just keep giving someone a fish again and again, instead of teaching them how to fish; because you’re scared of them becoming independent, and that isn’t powerful. Without egoism, you may be failing to take care of yourself regularly and lead yourself to a burnout, which is definitely not a position of power. In banking, a fancy suite is a form of power, in high-tech it isn’t. There is many times a context that you have to consider.
Never miss the best personal development content again.
Get 5 free books.
The big seven signs of power
First, here are the big seven signs of power. They’re kind of the universal signs of power and the most powerful ones. Some of them are inherited, but most of them can be built, at least to a certain extent. Here they are:
- Muscles / Being fit / Health
- Money / Wealth
- Rare titles – prince, royalty, Olympic winner, owner of a medal of honor, miss etc.
- Formal positions and statuses – CEO, president, prime minister, etc.
- God-like personality – the right combination of different personality traits that are signs of power, many of them listed below
Obviously, the first step towards more power in your life you can take is to start building up your personality, becoming the best version of yourself and taking care of your health. Then you need to go after the outer assets, according to the formula for massive success.
All other signs of power
Besides the big seven signs of power, there are many others, some of them easy achievable, others not, some of them inherited, others obtained. Below are all other signs of power I could think of, arranged alphabetically. Some of them may repeat themselves or are expressed with different names.
- “90–60–90” (for women)
- Adaptability (being lean and agile)
- Attractive smell (natural, perfume, aftershave)
- Battle scars (to some extent)
- Being busy
- Being different (and not be bothered about it)
- Being natural
- Being observant
- Being romantic
- Body modifications (golden teeth, piercings …)
- Clothes – big brands
- Communication skills (flirting, negotiating, presenting etc.)
- Courage / not being afraid
- Deep voice
- Domination (in bed)
- Drive (vision, mission …)
- Egotism and egoism
- Empathy / Lack of empathy
- Exclusive social circles
- Execution / Immediate implementation
- Expensive accessories
- Expensive art
- Feeling good in your body
- Fighting for a cause
- Formal contracts
- Formal education (MSc, PhD)
- Good posture
- Groomed body (hair, nails, depilation…)
- Hard work
- Height (for men)
- History, legacy
- Hobbies (rare, cool, adrenaline ones)
- Housing (apartments, mansions …)
- Innocence (for women)
- Insight / Information asymmetry
- Intelligence (IQ)
- Interrupting others
- Jewelry (rare metals)
- Laser-focused work, concentration
- Leadership skills
- Listening skills
- Luxury goods
- Managing emotions
- Mastering your body (fasting, meditating …)
- Mindset (abundance, growth, optimal)
- Musical intelligence
- Not giving a fuck
- Number of followers & fans (real life, social media)
- Penis size
- People coming to you in social groups
- Personal brand
- Personal income (how much money you make per year)
- Physical intelligence
- Political skills
- Powerful friends
- Premium class traveling
- Pushing yourself
- Rare experiences (landing on the moon)
- Rare personality traits
- Resilience, persistence, stamina
- Rich imagination
- Setting boundaries and limits
- Sex (getting & not giving)
- Sex appeal
- Sexual abilities
- Slower movements
- Social capital
- Social intelligence
- Social media influence
- Speaking in public
- Strategy (or a superior plan)
- Style (tattoos, ornaments, clothes …)
- Superior organization
- Survival and fighting skills
- Symbols (medals, ranks …)
- Taking (calculated) risks
- Taking space
- Taming or being good with (wild) animals
- Tech products (expensive ones, like Apple)
- Technological skills
- Valuable collections
- Yachts, planes & helicopters
Based on your current position in life, your goals and knowing all the signs of power, think of how you can become more powerful in life and also show to other people that you are powerful. Everything, of course, with the goal of putting your power to good use and changing yourself, and consequently the people you love and the whole world to the better.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. Abraham Lincoln